Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Masterminds.

Clay was without question a social guy. Before the days of cell phones, and shattered-glass-iphones, he had a lot of calls coming in at the Olsen home. I doubt anyone was really surprised when he ran for student government. I still remember a big party he had with all his friends to help him make his winning campaign for Student Body Executive. Top 10 Reasons you should vote for Clay Olsen (David Letterman style), Deep Thoughts with Jack Handey, a Grandma Bee in curlers poster (which she cursed and probably haunts him for), etc.
And who could forget the big inflated bunny that lived on Logan High's front lawn (that hung its head every night to rest only to be re-inflated to awake in the morning)? He ran another year, this time for Student Body President. Oh yeah- he also had braces. There were rollercoaster posters that turned into tracks on his teeth. There were Buzz Lightyear, molding clay, Gumby, Clay's potatoe chips, and Clay-doe themes. He won both campaigns.
Jackson followed step soon after. A Jack playing card, Cracker Jacks, Action Jackson... You get the idea. He ran two successful campaigns too.
I watched both of them in high school- never thinking I would follow in their footsteps. In fact, don't tell, but I thought I wanted to be a cheerleader of all things (yikes... just kidding Holly ;)!). When I filed for candidacy I wanted to die. Especially since I didn't have a cool name that could be morphed into a million different things like my preceeding two brothers. In fact, the only things I could think of were "Josie and the Pussycats", a cartoon that NOBODY in my grade had heard of from who knows when, and even worse: "JOSIE GROSSIE", from a popular tween movie. Grrr.
Mom and Dad to the rescue. The creativity from Mom plus the handyman skills (that's right, I said it- haha) of Dad made my election a success.

They thought they were done...

OH CONTRAIRE. Jackson ran for Executive Vice President his senior year at Utah State. Again, to be followed (it hasn't happened yet), by his kid sister.

Well, from the three of us, we'd like to acknowledge the real masterminds behind the campaigns Mom and Dad. And it wasn't just with student elections. Mom stayed up many nights with all of us helping make posters and projects throughout our schooling, while Dad wrote most of our papers! Ha ha.

THANK YOU.

No comments: