Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Preschool and babysitting Ramblings

When Mom and Dad moved to Logan, Mom didn't like the preschool selection available to us, so she started her own.  I guess I was in it, though I don't remember much about the day-to-day.  I remember some of the students.  I think Travis Rawlings was in it, and the Choate brothers...Sarah Anderson, though I think I remember most of these people from the few photos I've seen.  

Cut to:  Many years later when I started babysitting.  As a 11 or 12 year old overachiever, I wanted to be the most fun, creative, super-babysitter that ever was.  I created a "Babysitting Box" in Young Women's or somewhere, and though I had a few ideas of my own, I would beg mom for activities and crafts I could bring to entertain and wow the kids and out came the preschool supplies.  The thing I remember best was the shape story...about the city of shapes; circles, squares, rectangles, none of whom got along.  They all stayed with their own "kind".  'Til one day there was an accident of some sort and they began to work together to make all sorts of things with their shapes...it was basically a variation of the Sneetches.  I loved that story.  Mostly, though, that closet made me realize how creative our mom was.  She created a whole curriculum of learning activities.   I don't remember much about preschool but I'm pretty sure my mom was the best teacher ever.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Here, here!
What a great mom mom was for little kids growing up! She was so creative and engaging. It was wonderful! She has had quite an influence on all of us (I am grateful for her experience and expertise now that I'm doing a preschool of my own!).